Sunday 25 February 2007

Et si je t'aime, prends garde a toi!


Last night I and two girlfriends we went to see "Carmen" at the Sofia Opera.
I know that the National Opera is not very good (and the National Ballet is straightforwardly a real disaster) but we don't have any other chance to listen to operas so there we went.
Carmen is my favourite opera ever. I have seen it many times and I love the music. In my opinion the art of opera combines music and theatre so I pay attention to the acting skills of the singers. Carmen wasn't good. She didn't look well, she wasn't beautiful, I didn't like her voice and she just didn't make me believe in the kind of love she feels. So I was disappointed. Not to mention strange decor and costume ideas (who thought it's good to combine red, orange and pink??), poor ballet-dancers, fat Don Jose... Escamillo was great - both look and voice. Michaella sang quite good but I just can't stand this character.
One advantage is that compared to other National Operas our is very cheap. And as said above I want to see not only hear the opera (this means I'm not keen on buying opera CDs. At least not much.) So I have no choice for the moment.
We usually go out Saturday evening - theatre and then dinner. sometimes piano bar afterwards. Hopefully the music of Carmen is so brilliant that we went out in good mood. But next time we're going to try to see some musical. Hair for example. I have the feeling I'll need iron nerves...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Carmen too ... (to put it out of) it'S pain there's another kind of operas called "zarzuelas" that were very successful till a few decades ago and their stories were closer to what the public wanted to see ... they're not my stuff, however ... at least I hope that your girlfrineds enjoyed it, anyway! :-)

*

On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.