Saturday 2 June 2007

Belen Maya and her flamenco

"Belen Maya's company" presented "Dibujos" (Pictures) in the National Palace of Culture in Sofia. It was amazing - I like flamenco a lot.
It was an interesting set of different pieces of music and dance. The music is by the flamenco guitarist Jose Luis Rodriguez, who was playing the guitar in "Dibujos".
Belen uses traditional, classic flamenco dance altogether with modern influences. It was like a dialogue between the guitar and her dance. And it made me sit and stare, with no moves, it grasped my attention. Flamenco is always very powerful, like a huge bird, majestic eagle who starts beating his wings at the edge of a high cliff. You see the sea waves below him, the enormous sky above him, the free space between them, and you feel his desire. Sometimes to stay, sometimes to fly calmly, sometimes to fly fast and risky. And most of the times all this at the same time.
The quality of the pictures is very poor, it was hard to take good ones with my camera.



La Tremendida, the singer:









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for those pictures, nousha!!!

You surely know that I love flamenco too ;-P but I haven't seen this show yet :-( ...

Your description of that show (the same can be said about the dance and flamenco) was fantastic: you're right! the analogy with the bird and its wishes, wow!!! O_O

I've to listen to some flamenco music right now ... and it's your fault!!! LOL! ;-D

P.S. I hope that everything's fine over there, nousha! By the way, have I told you that I love reading you? :-D

nousha said...

Well, then it puts a lot of responsibility on me - I have to keep very high writing standard ;) I promise to do my best :):)

Anonymous said...

No responsibility at all, you're writing is awesome and I love reading you!;-) ...
So keep it coming and that's all!!! (and I'll be glad) ;-D

*

On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.